we get Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires - Lexus LC500 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Ace

we get Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires

Not only are these some of the coolest tires to have on a GT car with this power to weight ratio but its been optimized for applications just like the LC. Odds are by time the BMW 8-Series comes to market, it could be wearing a similar setup.

Quote:
DETROIT, Jan. 11, 2016 -- The exciting new Lexus LC 500 luxury sports coupe wore MICHELIN® Pilot® Super Sport ZP tires at its world debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit today. For the first time, Michelin engineers deployed a new hybrid sidewall technology that allows the tire to maintain its run-flat capabilities and superior handling performance while also reducing the tire’s overall mass and rolling resistance.

Available on the all-new Lexus LC 500 model, the specially tuned MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport ZP tires were designed to contribute significantly to handling and performance. During an intensive development period, the project included more than 1,200 prototype tires and countless hours of testing at Michelin facilities in Greenville, S.C., and Ladoux, France, as well as Higashifuji proving ground and the Japanese Automobile Research Institute in Shirosato, Japan.

“Michelin’s global development team worked very closely with the Lexus team to develop a Pilot Super Sport that helps meet the high performance and safety needs of the Lexus LC 500,” said Thom Roach, vice president of original equipment marketing, Michelin North America. “Owners will enjoy the peace of mind that Michelin run-flat technology offers without giving up the quiet cabin and comfortable ride that Lexus owners value.”

Exclusively for the North American International Auto Show, Michelin designed a concept version of the Pilot Super Sport featuring its Premium Touch® technology on the sidewall of the tire. The special tire incorporates elements from Lexus’ brand design language to enhance the beauty of the LC 500 when on display.Premium Touch® uses a proprietary mold-engraving technology to produce superior aesthetic contrast and premium velvet texture.

The tire sizes for the Lexus LC 500 are 245/40R21 for the front and 275/35R21 for the rear.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:58 AM

All the LCs I've seen to date have been wearing Bridgestone tires including mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (192.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by ralph; 05-27-2017 at 03:07 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
All the LCs I've seen to date have been wearing Bridgestone tires including mine.
This piece from Lexus mentioned the LC 500, so maybe the LC500h runs those bridgestone's? Another factor might be location. Someone living in the U.S. might get different tires than someone in the U.K.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 02:37 AM

On LC500, not 500h.

Basically with car manufacturers, you get whatever they have that day at the factory. Lexus has said you may get any of Bridgestone, Dunlop, or Michelin.

That Michelin ZP article was well over a year old (1/16) , things may have changed.

Last edited by ralph; 05-28-2017 at 02:41 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 03:30 PM

Now that's an interesting one. Any mention of which specific tires of each brand that you could potentially get? I would hope they're extremely close in specifications
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:09 AM

Back in December it was reported...

The standard 20-inch tires are made by Bridgestone, and measure 245/45RF20 in the front and 275/40RF20 in the back. The Sport package will have 21-inch wheels — the front tires will measure 245/40RF21 and be made by Bridgestone, while the rear tires will be manufactured by either Dunlop or Michelin and will measure 275/35RF21.

Mixing front and rear brands would be very strange. Thankfully that didn't happen.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:36 PM

I think that Lexus/Michelin press release was way premature. To date, Michelin does not make the tires in the sizes required on the LC. At least not that I could find on michelin.com nor tirerack.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:46 AM

They definitely wouldn't mix front and rear brands as that would result in even more uneven wear and even steering pulls and what not. The different grooves would pull that car all over the place.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page