2018 Transmission Issues lead to Limp Mode - Lexus LC500 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

2018 Transmission Issues lead to Limp Mode

Has anyone had these tansmission issues?

I love my LC500. I have had many Lexus's and other performance cars, and used them to their potentials.
My LC has 15K miles now. I did take it to the track for the 1st time, as I have done my other cars in the past, but was horribly disappointed with the LC. The car handled and sounded great, and hung/raced 911's, Hellcat, Z06's, ZL1's, a Cayman, AMG's and other nice/quick cars.

This particular track is 1.6 miles with 10 turns, 3 straights, the longest being 1750'...it is a tight track that allows maybe 119mph in the LC on the straight. Cars ran 6-8 at a time for 20 minute sessions.
My problem is I was the only 1 who went into limp mode. Trans temp warning message appears after 11-12 minutes, then limp mode at 14-15 minutes. Really Sucks! I tried Sport Plus in auto and manual shift modes.

Lexus has had car this week and say tested for Glycol in trans, and Negative, as well as checking fluid level to find all okay.

Funny as I also went to Lexus Performance Driving school (prior to the track day) in Daytona and the LC's were on a small slalom coarse. GSF's were on bigger outside road coarse and track. I asked why and told they had "problems with LC's and could not use them on big track" so swapped to inner slalom. They would not say any more. I had no idea at this time that I would have issues, or I would have pushed harder.

Anyone have any feedback, issues, insight?
I can add a trans cooler, but then I "void" warranty.

Thanks to all! JP
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:35 PM

That's really unfortunate JP, I hope your dealer can source the cause soon. If this isnt just a one off problem, at least other owners will have a better idea of what to avoid or look out for. Did they mention what else they would be testing?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:54 PM
Ace

I guess this is what happens when we put a GT car to do a sport coupe's job. Sure makes you wonder how the LC-F will be different because it has to take a beating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 06:14 PM

LC trans shifting funky

Hi guys,

I am new to LC experience, just recently bought a 2018 LC500. I have noticed under moderate (mid-throttle) acceleration from a stop it seems to stumble when shifting from 1st to 2nd - it has no issues on "soft" take off or "hard" take off - have any of you experience this?
Also, when in the manual mode it will still shift on its own before hitting rev limiter when shifting from 1s to 2nd, than you can bounce it off the rev limiter shifting from second to third and so on - is that normal?

Other than that, I love it!

Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 03:09 AM

Garage
Hello , I never drive in manual mode , because i personally haven't had enough practice to shift properly. So I can't really answer you on manual mode but for automatic no. I never felt or notice a stumble of any kind. There are times when I get my need for speed and floor it. Hard acceleration from first gear to second gear and so on is smooth shifting for me. Soft acceleration ; yes , it's smooth as well on mines. Toyota/Lexus has a great reliability history even with V8' and V10's . Has the car been checked by dealer?

AB

Last edited by Tvrfly; 10-08-2020 at 03:13 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 08:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman2020 View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to LC experience, just recently bought a 2018 LC500. I have noticed under moderate (mid-throttle) acceleration from a stop it seems to stumble when shifting from 1st to 2nd - it has no issues on "soft" take off or "hard" take off - have any of you experience this?
Also, when in the manual mode it will still shift on its own before hitting rev limiter when shifting from 1s to 2nd, than you can bounce it off the rev limiter shifting from second to third and so on - is that normal?

Other than that, I love it!

Thanks!
Hello , I never drive in manual mode , because i personally haven't had enough practice to shift properly. So I can't really answer you on manual mode but for automatic no. I never felt or notice a stumble of any kind. There are times when I get my need for speed and floor it. Hard acceleration from first gear to second gear and so on is smooth shifting for me. Soft acceleration ; yes , it's smooth as well on mines. Toyota/Lexus has a great reliability history even with V8' and V10's . Has the car been checked by dealer?

AB

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page