Infotainment. Future improvements? - Lexus LC500 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Infotainment. Future improvements?

This system in our cars is quite impressive, as with many new vehicles. No telling how many hours I have sat in the garage going through it over and over. Love to show people the touchpad that can control so much. Much less the voice interface.

We had a deposit on a 2018, were bringing it in from out of state. But that night I checked further and realized only the 2019s have Carplay. I’d had it in a recent rental and loved being able to pretty much abandon my phone. I often run with WAZE, and having it onboard was paramount to putting the phone away.

It’s nice as it is, but things change fast in the world of our devices.

Wireless Carplay will be nice. Having to try to get to it, then plugin the phone at the right time, wait a few seconds and then get it going is a hastle. Some cars are already doing it wireless I believe. Should be just get in and go.

What would you want different? Have you some vision for the near or far future?

1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special 3841R
2005 Lotus Elise, supercharged, full track
2011 Lotus Evora S Racing Heritage #3 of 4
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed. Best car on the road.
2015 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO (our third Tundra tow vehicle)
2015 Honda Civic Si, great little daily
2019 Lexus LC 500, 2019 McLaren 570S Oh my!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Xhilr8n!; 02-24-2019 at 09:30 PM.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 AM

I too contemplated getting a 19 model because of Carplay but decided to save a few thousand on a leftover new 18 as my last vehicle had Carplay and I rarely bothered with it. That being said its baffling that LEXUS would just get around to adding a feature that my 16 model year had. It seems the industry is headed toward electrification so in the near future we will all have a large computer screen to stare at as we get autonomously chauffeured. So sad, I will miss driving
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

There are times that I wish some drivers were on an automated system.

The LC is the only vehicle Ive had with even the lane change or the auto braking features. I can see how these could be useful now that Ive experienced them some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhilr8n! View Post
There are times that I wish some drivers were on an automated system.

The LC is the only vehicle Ive had with even the lane change or the auto braking features. I can see how these could be useful now that Ive experienced them some.
I have those thoughts about 70% of the time i'm on the road. A lot of things trigger it from those guys who drive slow in the passing lane with no hope of realizing what other drivers want them to do and then the ones that have no regard for others, risking their safety
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Ever drive in England? Everyone respects common sense, are aware that others are in the world, and work together to get down the road. People understand the Slower drivers keep right law.

I have started blowing my horn a couple times when I do get by these rude people. But I always wonder if they even notice that my car exists.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:53 AM

Even though these newer autonomous systems are helping to make roadways safer, I hope that there presence in performance drivers car is slower than what we are seeing in the rest of the industry. Porsche has already motioned they will be holding off on drivers aid tech for as long as they can. Eventually it will probably become government regulated.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:28 PM
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhilr8n! View Post
Ever drive in England? Everyone respects common sense, are aware that others are in the world, and work together to get down the road. People understand the “Slower drivers keep right” law.

I have started blowing my horn a couple times when I do get by these rude people. But I always wonder if they even notice that my car exists.
If you think that's bad, it gets even worse when emergency vehicles need to get by which they don't because of the same people (mostly). Thankfully that will be resolved with autonomous vehicles as currently automakers are considering programming them to pull over. I've been to NYC a few times and seen how crazy it can get, but that's also a fail due to design and not entirely just drivers.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Every now and then we hear of some state or another that’s going to “crack down” on these dangerous idiots camped out in the passing lane. That needs to happen a bunch of times in a bunch of places. They are a real danger to everyone.

Having autonomous there to explain the rules of the road might be useful

I can also imagine some system that would accelerate cars on onramps to match the traffic they are about to merge into. Something that can think five seconds ahead for them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page