Lexus LC500 Forum

Lexus LC500 Forum (https://www.lc500forum.com/forum/)
-   2017+ Lexus LC500 Versus The Competition (https://www.lc500forum.com/forum/201-2017-lexus-lc500-versus-competition/)
-   -   Lexus LC vs _______ ? (https://www.lc500forum.com/forum/201-2017-lexus-lc500-versus-competition/9178-lexus-lc-vs-_______.html)

Ace 05-12-2017 06:16 PM

Lexus LC vs _______ ?
 
As you can tell from the title, this thread's purpose is to discuss what the entire LC range is up against. As I write this post, the only LC models available are the LC500 and LC500h. In the future we'll likely see an LC500 F-Sport and an LC-F.

LC is in a unique position and there are few models that compete directly with it, the Maserati GranTurismo and upcoming BMW 8-Series are most direct and what i'll be comparing.

What else could the LC in its current state be compared to?

Ace 04-21-2019 11:59 PM

BMW 8-Series aside, because its out already and we all know where it stands, a next generation Mercedes SL is stepping up the fight with AMG taking control over development (from what I read recently). If current AMG products are to reflect what will come with this SL, it makes me wonder how the LC-F will stack up. If Lexus can offer AMG levels of performance at a cheaper price point and even do some things better, we could have a game changer on our hands.

Quote:

The information comes from a Thursday AutoCar report. It marks the first time AMG has overseen the SL-Class, and it means the next-generation model will have an inherently sportier and performance-oriented character. The plan to take the SL-Class into new performance realms spurred Mercedes-Benz to hand development over to AMG exclusively. Moers added the SL-Class and next AMG GT will share a platform: the Modular Sports Architecture.

Xhilr8n! 04-22-2019 11:49 AM

For me the Aston Martin Vantage, the AM DB 11. There are comparison reviews that we have probably all seen. There are surprising lease deals available for the Vantage, right there with the lease for the LC500

Again for me the Lotus Evora 400/410. Same price, better handling, reasonable power to weight. If the 430 Sport were available in US now I might well have gone that route.

Some Corvette model, if that were one’s taste.

Jag no longer makes a true GT, but for some their F-Type would be a consideration.

Have to mention the top Mustangs. Lotsa power, surprising handling, smooth manual transmission. And everyone wants a Mustang :) sometime.

The lack of a manual trans is an issue for some of us. I’d love to feel an LC that way

Ace 04-30-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhilr8n! (Post 12693)
For me the Aston Martin Vantage, the AM DB 11. There are comparison reviews that we have probably all seen. There are surprising lease deals available for the Vantage, right there with the lease for the LC500

Again for me the Lotus Evora 400/410. Same price, better handling, reasonable power to weight. If the 430 Sport were available in US now I might well have gone that route.

Some Corvette model, if that were ones taste.

Jag no longer makes a true GT, but for some their F-Type would be a consideration.

Have to mention the top Mustangs. Lotsa power, surprising handling, smooth manual transmission. And everyone wants a Mustang :) sometime.

The lack of a manual trans is an issue for some of us. Id love to feel an LC that way

The LC-F should be a game changer and feel like a different vehicle is my assumptions are right.
Also there the fact Lexus drastically added to the RC.

Fast forward years after its release and look what we have today!


Xhilr8n! 04-30-2019 08:41 PM

It would be close to super car status. And darn tempting.

And just when I am feeling the LC as just right.

Ace 05-01-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhilr8n! (Post 12703)
It would be close to super car status. And darn tempting.

And just when I am feeling the LC as just right.

After the LFA left us and still makes its mark year after year, even this year, people are dying to see another. Lots of demands are on Toyota/Lexus for this to be a "more affordable LFA." My hope is what we've seen with TMG and Gazoo Racing finds its way here and not entirely exclusive to the next LFA.

flyguyskt 10-30-2019 01:37 PM

AMG GTS vs LC500

Full disclosure, I have NOT yet dropped the cash to purchase a LC but am really close. Iv'e narrowed it down to two cars that I could see myself driving as toys. I know one is a 4 seater (ya right), one is more sport oriented and that is fine with me.

My thoughts:

I love lexus cars in general, reliability is important to me... I've had a few Lexus cars and have always been satisfied.

I really like the way the LC looks but I REALLY like the look of the GTS.

There really is not much for reviews that talk about "reliabilty" of either the LC or the GTS. All of them are raving about both cars performance this performance that blah blah blah.

I live 300 miles from the nearest benz dealer and 400 miles from the nearest lexus dealer so Reliability is a priority.(I do have a toyota dealer that if approved by Lexus can service it.

Help me decide!

flowrider 10-30-2019 02:04 PM

^^^^Lexus Reliability is Legendary. MB - Not So Much.

Lou

patc 10-30-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguyskt (Post 13389)
AMG GTS vs LC500

Full disclosure, I have NOT yet dropped the cash to purchase a LC but am really close. Iv'e narrowed it down to two cars that I could see myself driving as toys. I know one is a 4 seater (ya right), one is more sport oriented and that is fine with me.

My thoughts:

I love lexus cars in general, reliability is important to me... I've had a few Lexus cars and have always been satisfied.

I really like the way the LC looks but I REALLY like the look of the GTS.

There really is not much for reviews that talk about "reliabilty" of either the LC or the GTS. All of them are raving about both cars performance this performance that blah blah blah.

I live 300 miles from the nearest benz dealer and 400 miles from the nearest lexus dealer so Reliability is a priority.(I do have a toyota dealer that if approved by Lexus can service it.

Help me decide!

My 2 cents. One should not expect too much support for the AMG on this forum. That said the AMG is one awesome car. However, having owned a Mercedes product in the past, I have to agree that the Mercedes is measurably less reliable and the repair costs are significantly higher than our fancy Toyota product. The aesthetics and the driving experience are highly subjective. I, personally, chose the one that my wife and I preferred in both of those categories (the LC, duh!). You mention that it is a drivable toy. I agree. Buy the toy that puts the biggest smile on your face. Forget logic, these are emotional, buy from your gut, purchases. Luckily, you've narrowed it down to two great choices.:D:D

flyguyskt 10-31-2019 01:28 PM

Oh I totally get the emotional part of this. I was really stuck on the lexus and then I saw dat azz on the AMG.>:)

But as emotional of a decision this is I also need to listen to the logical piece of my brain...it screaming buy the LEXUS BUY THE LEXUS...

So more history and thoughts. I've used a Lotus Elise sport pack car as a daily driver and weekend touring car.

so trunk space is not a concern for me AT ALL.

Priorities are : daily drive ability(get it push the button and drive), sound, looks, power, no trips to the dealer 400 miles away.

I'm 90% on board with the LC

robdinero 10-31-2019 10:30 PM

I cross shopped the LC and AMG and walked away with Lexus in the end. There where pros and cons to each vehicle but the pros for the Lex outweighed those of the Merc. In the past I had a Merc S550 and when running properly it was a dream to drive but had some gremlins that made for a few too many trips to the dealer. Not to say all Mercedes has problems but it is well documented who is consistently the king of reliability (Lexus) and who is mid pack (Mercedes). Men lie woman lie but numbers don't as the saying goes. Both cars look like spaceships on the road and will garner attention if thats your bag. The AMG pulls harder and faster but the Lex doesn't really leave you wanting and the soundtrack is sublime when running up the tach on each.
The AMG was a super tight fit for me at 6ft 2in 230lbs but the Lex is a perfect fit. Every ride is worry free and the Lex makes me feel special when I drive it, it was the sensible choice for me. Go drive them both and see which one feels right to you. Good luck!

flyguyskt 11-01-2019 01:44 PM

I plan to be testing them next weekend in Vegas. There are plenty of used examples there to test.
Pretty much sold on the Lexus up to about 95%.

Ravenred 11-05-2019 08:27 PM

I responded to your other thread with same title..lol.. I see multiple people here responded.. test drive an R8!!! it's an amazing car! Had an evora too.. . Wouldn't ever have that again either.
:-)

patc 11-06-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdinero (Post 13399)
I cross shopped the LC and AMG and walked away with Lexus in the end. There where pros and cons to each vehicle but the pros for the Lex outweighed those of the Merc. In the past I had a Merc S550 and when running properly it was a dream to drive but had some gremlins that made for a few too many trips to the dealer. Not to say all Mercedes has problems but it is well documented who is consistently the king of reliability (Lexus) and who is mid pack (Mercedes). Men lie woman lie but numbers don't as the saying goes. Both cars look like spaceships on the road and will garner attention if thats your bag. The AMG pulls harder and faster but the Lex doesn't really leave you wanting and the soundtrack is sublime when running up the tach on each.
The AMG was a super tight fit for me at 6ft 2in 230lbs but the Lex is a perfect fit. Every ride is worry free and the Lex makes me feel special when I drive it, it was the sensible choice for me. Go drive them both and see which one feels right to you. Good luck!

Same here on tall drivers, I am 6'5". Had a 2010 ZR1 and never did feel that there was enough room in that. The LC is quite generous with driver space. It is one of the only cars that I drive that I don't have the seat all the way back and reclined a bit. The ZR1 was a C6, the C7 corvettes were even tighter, and I am guessing that the new C8 mid-engine will be even smaller. But, with the LC, there are also hundreds of other reasons to not even consider another brand. It really is the perfect car for my purposes.

As an aside, flyguy, what do you fly? I'm a contract pilot flying a few different types of small jets. Flying analogy: the LC reminds me of a sleek newer generation Gulfstream, both inside and out. The AMG reminds me of a brutish old Lockheed Jet Star, at least on the outside (not that there's anything wrong with that).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.